Tuesday, May 16, 2006

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I just watched someone spend $15 on lettuce and tomatoes. That's all she got, enough lettuce for 3 days of salads and a container of grape tomatoes. Does anyone else see anything wrong with that? The grocery stores in DC charge SO MUCH for food. I bought 2 zucchini, 4 tomatoes, 2 apples, and .8 pounds of spinach and was charged $11. I guess that's a little better, but I still feel like farmers should be paid like surgeons and fresh produce should be cheap enough for every person to get the daily suggested servings of fruits and vegetables.
Oh, and I found a way to beat the system RE: spinach. At my local grocery, the baby spinach in a pack is $7.98/lb. The salad bar is $4.99/lb. So what you do is stuff as much spinach as you can manage in the salad bar container. That's what I did, it came out to .8 lb of spinach, and I ended up paying a lot less for my baby spinach.

No comments: