Saturday, January 28, 2006

She's Got Bette Davis Eyes

I was at the free zoo the other day and lo que más me impresionó fue the gorilla exhibit. I guess for me that's always the highlight of zoo-type places. I instantly made friends with the largest male gorilla at the zoo. The trick is, you go in there with your back turned to him, and then you look at him from over your shoulder. It's all about the posture with these animals. So yeah, I did that and he was making eyes at me within seconds, even though there were a bunch of kids right in front of him pounding on the glass. Every once in a while the gorilla would glare at this one boy in particular. Those kids were being obnoxious, and I wish someone had told them not to bother the poor animal (I'm not in the habit of speaking up in such situations). It was weird because this gorilla was actually leaning on the glass, he was so close. I could have stayed there for hours just looking at him from over my shoulder. His eyes were so expressive and intelligent. I think the gorilla is like 30 years old. He's seen a lot of this world. But after about 7 minutes of kids yelling at him and pounding on the glass, he retired to a more "private" section of the Ape House.
I keep thinking about this gorilla gorilla gorilla (actual scientific name).

No comments: