Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Diets are still for chumps

My loving spouse pointed out that I don't appear to be very understanding to people who want to go on diets. He thinks I should blame "the man" more than "the people." And I do think the whole diet industry deserves the bulk of the blame (no pun intended). But I also think that people should take responsibility for themselves. I'll throw my spouse a bone. Maybe I am a special case because I find nutrition very interesting and I also enjoy fruits, vegetables, and cooking.

I learned pretty much everything I know about nutrition from my high school health class. I took it during summer school and it was by far my favorite class ever. We learned about the birds and the bees, STDs, nutrition, and other things. It made me want to become a nutritionist, especially one that works on projects around the US and abroad to figure out the best way to feed people that don't have a lot of resources. It also made me aware of food labels, calories, and the US food pyramid.

Maybe I should cash in on my nutrition interest and become part of the industry, preaching my no-nonsense approach to food and eating!!

No comments: