Sunday, May 23, 2010

Slangtastic

I have to post now before I break my posting streak of once every 4 days. I'm learning lots of Mexican slang, especially this weekend. By the way, this has been the loooongest weekend of my life. But not in a bad way. It's just that I feel like I haven't been able to rest since the weekend began. It's because I have a grad school friend in town, who absolutely loves this city, so he showed me and another gringa a good time in the city. Both nights I got home at 6am. I had never done that before in my life. It was fun, but I'm ready to have some alone time to recharge my batteries. My batteries are very easily used up. That last sentence would sound a lot better to me in Spanish, but I try not to make a habit out of blogging in Spanish. I want my brain to stick to one language at a time, and not combine them. Sometimes it's hard to do, especially when I'm in a Spanish-speaking country.

Mexican slang:
Que padre! or Padrisimo! - Cool. The more common definition is father. So when you're saying "how cool" in slang you're literally saying "how father!"
Guey - comes from the word "buey" meaning "ox." Guey is a term of endearment like "dude."
Pedo - literally means fart. But here they use it to say "drunk." As in, "estoy pedo/a." In other words when someone is drunk they are literally saying "I am fart." My nephew would love that! Fart is his favorite word. But hopefully he won't know what it means to get drunk for at least another 10 years, because he's only 3.
Cruda - Means hangover. But literally it means "raw." Ay, guey, que amanecĂ­ cruda" or "Man, dude, I woke up raw."

Slang is so weird.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

6 a.m.?!?! Oh my GOSH. Glad you are having fun! I made it to 2 a.m. two nights this weekend and am ready to COLLAPSE!!!!!

OMGOMGOMgomgomg omg omg. HAHA the "word verification" that I have to type in here is "gonad". Not joking.

MaggieRoo said...

Seriously, I don't know how the kids do it.

Gonad? Gross!