Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Losing my religion...

Hey guess what my toilet broke again. It's clogged. I'm not putting foreign objects in this thing, it's weird and gross and frustrating. It will be fixed tomorrow. I thought that the Jesus nightlight in the bathroom would keep these things from happening but maybe it's causing it because He doesn't like being placed in the bathroom. But we're moving out by the end of the month so we'll lay down this set of problems and pick up a whole new set in our new surroundings!

The other day while I was running to the metro to catch a train to Baltimore I ran into someone I hadn't seen in 6 years. I can't believe I'm old enough to run into someone I haven't seen in 6 years. He's a high school classmate. I knew he was in the District though (because of facebook). Speaking of which, if you have facebook you should look me up and add me as your friend. Some day I will be one of those "friends" that are really good to have. You'll see.

I have been thinking a lot about religion lately due to some work we're doing with interfaith groups. It's all very interesting especially since I haven't been thinking much about my faith for the past few years. I've decided I need to bone up on my knowledge of world religions. I've forgotten a lot about my religion even! A recent Pew poll is very illuminating--in this country, Jews and Catholics are seen more favorably by Americans than Evangelical Christians and Muslims. We have come a long way as a country by being more inclusive to Jews and Catholics (they used to be looked down upon by our mostly White Protestant country) but there's still a long way to go as far as Evangelical Christians and Muslims. Also, not surprisingly, the younger generation (ages 18-29) look upon Muslims more favorably than any other generation and the people that actually say they know Muslims personally view Muslims a lot more favorably than anyone else. And, yes, Americans are still really hostile towards Atheists. I should have asked one of the speakers at the interfaith conference today what they think about those guys.

No comments: