Friday, February 19, 2010

From whence it came

I went for the extremely tangy probiotic yogurt with W. Va. honey and granola.

Last month when I was visiting my mom I thought she had gone slightly off the deep end for giving up sweets along with her church. In my case I don't have a pastor telling me to do it, it's the strange feeling I had kind of on my own. But maybe this was in response to a group of memories/thoughts/ideas/environmental cues my subconscious has been collecting for who knows how long:
  • My mom having gone off deep end
  • Knowing Lent was around the corner
  • Watching Food, Inc., King of Corn, This American Life episode on pig farms
  • Reading Michael Pollan
  • Looking for something to blog about
Anyways, I shouldn't look askance at my mom, but I can tell you that she did not stick to it! She munched sugary sweets throughout my visit. It's ok, it's because I'm a special occasion.

Tomorrow: breaking bread with relatives. Will I, for the first time ever, inconvenience them based on my food choices?! My secret will probably have to get out, depending on what they serve for dinner, and I don't want the deluge of questions - why? but you're not Catholic? huh?

I just know they're going to have chicken or sausage or something.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the world of explaining to people that you want your food exactly THIS way and that no, you're sorry, you can't eat it THAT way and oh dear...

We are glad to have you.