Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Conundrum

When I throw away underwear because it's in a state of disrepair, and it's worn, can I just throw it in the wastebin or do I have to wash it first and then throw it away? It feels disrespectful and unsanitary to throw away worn underdrawers.

Sometimes I have these questions and they remind me of something that Larry David would wonder aloud about on his show. Before becoming a fan of the show, who would have thought that I could identify so closely with a middle-aged bald Jewish man? Certainly not I. But it just goes to show you the universality of the human condition. Or at least the shared experience and camaraderie within the neurotic U.S.-American diaspora.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

In everywhere I've lived in Africa, underwear gets worn really, really fast, I don't know why. You always have to throw out underwear, like, at least twice a month. So there are two choices for throwing it away. You either throw it into the normal trash, but then you have to be sure that you are the one, when the trash is full, who takes the trashcan out back and douses it with kerosene and burns it; otherwise it seems disrespectful, like you said. OR you just through it down the latrine and let it sink into the gunk. Yup. It takes thought. I think about the mechanics of throwing out underwear all the time.